Quality Assurance versus Cheap
Trees are a valuable asset; if well looked after they will remain healthy for years, giving aesthetic pleasure and adding value to your property. If there is a problem that needs attention such as disease or even death, they require proper tree care from an experienced and qualified Arborist to advise the appropriate treatment or if tree removal is needed. Think of it this way, if you were feeling ill, you would not ask an unqualified doctor to diagnose and fix the problem but would seek out an experienced, knowledgeable, and well-qualified physician. The same principle should apply to tree care, seek out a qualified and experienced Arborist.
Arborist versus Tree Lopper
There are many unqualified, uninsured tree loppers in Brisbane offering their services at cheap rates. However, there is risk involved with hiring a tree lopper who is unregulated and you should always ask them the following pertinent questions:
- Are they fully and comprehensively insured with adequate Public Liability Insurance? No insurance means that if someone is injured or property is damaged, it is the property owner’s responsibility and you could find yourself very out of pocket.
- Do they have the proper equipment? Substandard equipment is not conducive to good workmanship or safety. It should be well maintained and appropriate for the job it is intended for as well as fully insured.
- Are they Qualified? Anyone can start up a business as a tree lopper if they have transport, a ladder and chainsaw but whether they know what they are doing is another matter. An industry recognised qualification Arboriculture guarantees that your Arborist has had both theoretical and practical training in all aspects of tree care, using equipment and machinery safety. Tree and plant identification is also an important part of the training as it ensures that your Arborist knows what they are working with. When out on site they will recognise the difference between a weed and a specialised tree. They will understand the needs individual tree species have- perhaps they need more light or perhaps it is not the right area for that particular tree species to thrive.
- Do they work to Australian Standards? A reputable tree care company should be working to Australian standards for pruning. If a tree is cut incorrectly the will not tree compartmentalize and will go into a stressed state, causing epicormic growth in the cut area. The epicormic growth can grow as much as 20 feet in some species in one year, compromising the tree’s structural integrity and creating a new hazard. If a tree is cut correctly the wound will heal immediately causing no lasting damage however if unprofessionally cut, the wounds do not heal, allowing pathogens and pests to enter the tree eventually killing it.
- Do they follow important safety rules? Are harnesses worn to protect them from falling? Are they trained in Electrical Safety, Aerial Rescue, First Aid and CPR? Are Chainsaw chaps worn? Hats, gloves, steel capped boots… Have they had training in machine operation safety? The importance of Workplace Health and Safety should not be underestimated and if corners are being cut to keep costs low then the results could be catastrophic!
- Do they belong to any registered bodies? Membership of industry bodies such as Queensland Arboricultural Association and Arboriculture Australia ensures that the company has reached a high standard of workmanship; qualifications; insurances; safety standards and have quality assurances in place.
Hiring a Qualified Arborist in Brisbane
Hiring a qualified and experienced Arborist from a reputable company such as Heritage Tree Care is imperative to ensure a quality service that will save you money in the long run. Corrective pruning can be expensive and sometimes a tree will not recover from a ‘lopping’ job and the tree will require complete removal. Disfigured and damaged trees will also reduce the value of your property as they will be considered by potential buyers as an added expense whereas healthy trees can add 10-20 percent to the value of a property.
Do your homework carefully when considering hiring a company for tree work. If the words ‘lopping’ or ‘topping’ are mentioned take that as a red flag- do not hire a tree lopper!
For a professional pruning job call Heritage Tree Care on 0737155444 for a free no obligation quote, our qualified Arborists will be delighted to advise you on the best course of action for your trees. We cover Brisbane, Logan, Ipswich, Redlands and Gold Coast area in Queensland, Australia.